Butternut squash is synonymous with the fall season, and even though every other blog on the planet [about food] is probably doing the same thing – I just had to make my first of the season. This recipe is very simple because it only uses 5 ingredients: butternut squash, onions, apple juice, sage and water. Below are step by step pictures & the steps. Enjoy!
1. Slice and caramelize one large onion. (Save about 1 Tbsp for garnish)
2. Dice one butternut squash, coat it with olive oil, season with salt, pepper and a touch of cinnamon.
3. Roast in a 400 F oven until golden brown and soft
4. Mix onions, squash and cover half way with apple juice and the rest of the way (just over the squash) with water. Add a bit of fresh sage to infuse.
5. Bring up to a boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove sage and puree until smooth. Garnish with reserved caramelized onion and quickly fry up a few leaves of fresh sage.