This sounds a lot fancier than it actually is, I promise! I literally threw everything in a crock pot, hoping for the best and was really rewarded. These short ribs are succulent, full of flavor, and falling off the bone. Don’t get me wrong, short ribs are definitely worth the effort to braise traditionally, but when you want that same slow cooked flavor, and don’t have the time to sear the beef and babysit the braise – this is a perfect candidate for your slow cooker.
These short ribs are inspired by ones we used to prepare at Spice Market restaurant in NYC. (A Southeast Asian restaurant). They also had star anise flavor, but were crusted with caramelized onions and chili. The star anise imparts a wonderful warmth and enhances the beef flavor, and together with the orange, it really gives this dish a well-rounded flavor, but doesn’t overpower it . Even if you don’t like licorice flavor, I urge you to try star anise because it has a very different flavor. It’s very warming. It is brown and it almost looks like a star, but it has 8 points. You should be able to find it in your local spice section, or international aisle.
You can also purchase it on amazon through my affiliate link. (which means if you decide to purchase, my blog earns a small percentage of the sale, at no additional cost to you)
When you’re short on time, prepare this in the crock pot the night before, or the morning of, and come home to a deliciously prepared meal that is falling off the bone. I recommend serving this with polenta, mashed potatoes or rice to soak up all those juices!! Tag me on social media @thekoshertomato if you make this!
- 1 1/2 pound beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 turns of freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 onion, peeled, and left whole (to easily remove later)
- 1/2 light beer (I used Corona)
- 1 small orange, zested
- 1/2 orange, juiced. Reserve both halves
- 1/2 cup stock ( I used vegetable, but beef is better)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 star anise pieces wrapped in a cheesecloth bag
- Season short ribs with the spices and place the onion, orange zest, juice and orange pieces in and around the ribs.
- Pour liquids over beef and drop in the cinnamon and star anise. Cook on the low setting of the crockpot for 8 hours. Before serving, squeeze the onion and oranges with a pair of tongs over the mean before discarding.
- To serve: Leave on bone, sprinkle freshly chopped parsley (if using) for a more dramatic effect and serve over polenta, mashed potatoes or rice.
- You can also shred for tacos or in wraps, arepas, bowls, etc. Freezes nicely in it's own juices.