Fluffy. Crunchy. Chewy. This is how I describe this very flavorful rice – and it is one of my favorites. It works great as weeknight accompaniment to your dinner, but it is also interesting enough for a holiday. I brought this as one of my contributions for Thanksgiving, but it would work really well for Rosh Hashana since it has many sweet elements.
Make it a meal by adding your protein of choice (chicken, beef or tofu) and it really does not take much longer than making your regular rice once you have your ingredients on hand. The ingredients below are merely a guide. Adding or subtracting these ingredients really will not lessen the deliciousness of this rice, so have fun with it!
Jeweled Rice with Dried Cherries & Toasted Almonds
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots (I bought them pre -shredded in the salad area)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups water or stock
- 1 tsp, turmeric
- salt to taste
- ¾ cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup white basmati rice
1/2 c raw slivered almonds, toasted
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- In a 3 qt sauce pan, heat oil and cook onions and garlic at medium heat until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant.
- In a separate skillet, toast almonds in skillet dry and keep turning until golden brown. You can also toast them in a 350F oven until golden brown (Set a timer!)
- Add turmeric, salt and other seasonings you like. Then add shredded carrots and cook until softened. Next, add rice and “toast” in oil until fragrant.
- Add water (or stock), raisins, cherries and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, and the rice cover and simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes until the water has been absorbed and you can fluff with a fork. Add the toasted almonds and chopped parsley