My daughter really loved these store-bought corn cakes that were, admittedly delicious, but full of processed ingredients. I was determined to make them homemade with real corn and less sugar. The truth is that I had done this a long time ago when she didn’t understand the concept of tweaking a recipe and after one bite – she said no! I tried explaining that I could add a little more sugar, but she wasn’t having it!
She’s older now (kids really mature so much in a matter of months) and I think I need to try this again because they were a really good breakfast or warmed snack. It’s pretty basic, but oh so good!
- 1 can of corn, pureed slightly
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup of cornmeal
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- Mix all ingredients (except olive oil or butter) until well combined.
- Fry 1/4 cup of batter in hot pan with olive oil or butter and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Can be made ahead and reheated, or made ahead and frozen.