This was just going to be a quick dinner; I did not expect to blog about it. As any food blogger knows, sometimes, those turn out to be our best creations. Hence, my less than amazing photo.
You’ll have to trust me on this one. You’re going to want to make this. The best thing about this dish, is that it comes together in one pan, and is fairly quick.
Not to mention, the fact that Thai dishes always hit the sweet, sour, salty, bitter and umami flavors. Isn’t that what our palate desires? Typical Pad Thai dishes have tamarind and palm sugar; both of which are not always readily available.
My husband is a tough one to please because he does not keep kosher outside of our home, so he’s used to eating Pad Thai with Shrimp. I made mine with Chicken and green veggies and let’s just say it is now a go-to in our kosher home! This recipe is adapted from Cooking Classy.
- 1 package Thai brown rice noodles
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced thinly on a bias. (best when slightly frozen)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced (I used a jar)
- 1 Tablespoon ginger, minced (I used a jar)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into thin strips and strips halved
- 1½ cups spinach
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Mix together brown sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice and lime zest, fish sauce. Set aside.
- Prepare the rice noodles according to the box instructions. Set aside.
- Season the chicken with salt & pepper and saute until cooked through. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan, saute garlic and ginger in olive oil until fragrant. Add onion and red pepper flakes and cook until onion is translucent. Add peppers and broccoli and allow them to turn bright green. Move to the side, and add the eggs to scramble.
- Add back the chicken, noodles and sauce and mix until incorporated. Wilt in spinach and add chopped cilantro, chopped peanuts and toasted sesame seeds for garnish. Serve with a slice of lime, if desired.