This recipe does have a lot more liquid though (see photo above) so you want to make sure to really squeeze that out with a kitchen towel. This step will ensure ultimate crispiness.
Corn & Yucca Latkes
- 1 Yucca, peeled and shredded *To peel the yucca, cut it in half and stabilize the root and cut down the waxy outer layer (shown in photo above)
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup canned corn, buzzed a few times in a food processor/blender/mini chopper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- Salt, pepper & enough vegetable oil to pan fry. *Start with less than you think. If the latkes are thin, they will crisp up in a small amount of oil and you will get the result without making them soggy.
- Mix all latke ingredients in a bowl and mix well. On a very low flame, heat a frying pan with vegetable oil (start with a low, even layer across the entire pan)
- Next, wring out the latke mixture in a kitchen towel, a little bit at a time to remove excess liquid.
- Make small little mounds (I made mine mini) into the hot oil (raise the heat to medium) and cook until golden brown on one side.
- Blot on a paper towel to absorb excess oil. Sprinkle with a bit of salt while they are still hot.
- This would go very well with applesauce. It has a crunchy texture and savory and sweet taste that is addicting!