ABOUT THE KOSHER TOMATO
I like to say “Delicious food that *happens* to be Kosher” because honestly, you wouldn’t even know it, if not for my blog’s name.
“The Kosher Tomato” actually started out as “It’s Heavenly Kosher”. In 2007, I started a Personal Chef Company that would offer weekly meals, cooking classes and demos. One of my first clients told me she loved my logo, but not my company name.
Refreshed by her honesty, I walked home that night thinking, and randomly the words The Kosher Tomato just popped into my head – and it just stuck. (Ironically, there is no such thing as a “Kosher” tomato, because, by default, all tomatoes are Kosher) But I digress.
I was born to a Colombian-Argentinean Jewish family, and keep a semi-kosher lifestyle – but I didn’t always. I trained at The Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY and I have been cooking for over 15 years. I have been fortunate enough to work with great chefs (Matthew Ries, Al DiMeglio,Gray Kunz, Jean-Georges Vongerichten, Stanley Wong, Lon Symensma, Angelo Sosa, Cornelius Gallagher and Alexandra Guarnaschelli) I also taught several cooking and technique classes at the Center for Kosher Culinary Arts (CKCA) in Brooklyn, NY.
FUN FACTS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT ME
- In 2008, I was featured as one of the “HEEB 100“ (Jews doing cool things)
- In 2009, I became a finalist for filming The Food Network‘s Season 2 of “CHOPPED”, I backed out at the end and missed the opportunity.
- I organize my closet by color
- I LOVE to clean and organize. And rearrange. (My husband is very understanding of this.)
- I am terrible at math
- I am fluent in Spanish, but my accent is kind of all over the place, prompting Latinos to always ask “De donde eres?”
- love ZUMBA, dance in general, and singing.
- When it comes to music, I love everything from Classical symphonies, to old school hip-hop and most things in between.
- My bucket list used to include travelling to at least one country on each continent. Not sure it is still possible with a FT job, two kids and a blog; but hey, you never know!
While you won’t find cheeseburgers, shrimp scampi or pork chops here, I can guarantee that you won’t miss it!
Subscribe to get delicious food to your inbox and follow me on social media!